Monday, January 29, 2007

4-H

What a delightful morning - and sitting on the deck to watch dawn turn to Sunrise, at peace with a cup of Lemon Tea and a Book. Birds creating a magnificent cacaphony. And then - crunching footsteps in the gravel beneath the deck. Who in the WORLD is at the back door at 5:20 am? I call out, and only the cats answer, but more crunching of feet in the gravel. Ahem. Well, this is strange. SO - quietly I made my way over to the edge of the deck and peered under to the walkway beneath - WHAT!!! A Heifer? Eating my tiny hydrangea seedlings! Unconcerned at my hollering at her. Of course, now hubby is awake with me hollering outside the bedroom window.
I could go into the details of the two of us herding this wayward heifer back into the fold, but the details - well, heifers have a very strange sense of humour and think all life is a big game of catch-me-if-you-can. When all was done, and she was back behind the magic wire, we surveyed the damage. Nearly all a whole crop of variegated hydrangeas munched and eaten. Ditto some blooming callas and some 2006 hemerocallis blooming for hybridizing. Then she carefully walked through some of the display garden beds, precisely placing each hoof-step into the crown of a hosta. From there, she made her way through each of the five 4 x 8 raised seedling beds with the new hemerocallis seedlings. Did I mention she is a holstein, probably 800 pounds and no finese to her at all? So - I don't know how many H's you counted in this, but with the heifer, hydrangeas, hostas, hemerocallis and a lot of hollering - it's been quite an "h" of a start to summer.
But - Happy Summer - this is the longest day of the year - apparently it is going to seem like it too! Nearly all the orders went out yesterday, just a few stragglers left, and we hope (another "H" :)) we are ready to start weeding. We better had, as the bus tours start next Tuesday already, and our overstock dl sale is this Friday Saturday.
Oh Dear - the birds are sounding quite a ruckus out there - best I check out what is going on....
Enjoy !!! Longest day of the year. B

No comments: